The Grand Canyon is 277 miles (446 km) long, up to 18 miles (29 km) wide and attains a depth of over a mile (6,093 feet or 1,857 meters). Nearly two billion years of Earth's geological history have been exposed as the Colorado River and its tributaries cut their channels through layer after layer of rock while the Colorado Plateau was uplifted.
The Key Holidays Grand Canyon tour features travel through the pine forests of Arizona in the comfort of Amtrak Southwest Chief® featuring Superliner bi-level cars to the magnificent Grand Canyon. Flexibility is a feature of this tour, allowing you to customize your plans the way that you like. Stay an extra day; upgrade your Amtrak train accommodations or seats on the Grand Canyon Railway train.
Since 1901, the Grand Canyon Railway has been taking people on a fabled journey into the heart of one of the seven natural wonders of the world
Experienced guides do the driving while you relax and enjoy spectacular views of the Grand Canyon.
Grand Canyon was the last largely unexplored area of the West in 1857. Often called "The Great Unknown" it was literally a blank space on maps.
Many options are available for day hikers. Both the South Rim and the North Rim offer rim trail hikes that have spectacular views of the inner canyon, some on paved trails.
- Roundtrip Amtrak Coach class to Williams Junction, AZ.
- Transfer to the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel for breakfast buffet at Grand Depot Café.
- Coach class seats aboard Grand Canyon Railway. A 65-mile trip by vintage train direct to the south rim of the Grand Canyon including wild west show and train robbery reenactment.
- Grand Rim Tour complete with stops at various overlooks with buffet lunch (time varies).
- Hotel accommodations for one night. Either the Maswik located in the Grand Canyon based on availability. Additional night(s) hotel available for extra cost.
- Grand Canyon Railway returns to Grand Canyon Railway Hotel for dinner buffet at Grand Depot Café.
- Return transfer to Williams Junction Amtrak station.
- Full color souvenir Grand Canyon booklet (1 per party).
- All taxes and service charges.
Amtrak arrivals coming from east of Arizona will require extra nights stay at the Grand Canyon Railway Hotel for an additional cost.
CLASSES OF SERVICE ABOARD
THE GRAND CANYON RAILWAY
COACH – included in price. Features large windows, complimentary soft drinks served. No Air Conditioning.
FIRST CLASS – Extra cost. Features oversized reclining seats, extra-large viewing windows, Morning fresh fruit, pastries, coffee and juice. Champagne served on return trip. Complimentary soft drinks. Air Conditioned cars.
OBSERVATION CLASS/DOME – Extra cost. Children under 15 years old are not allowed. Includes all features of First Class with Dome Seating. Air Conditioned.
LUXURY PARLOR CAR – Extra cost. Children under 15 years old are not allowed. Includes all features of First Class plus private bar and open-air rear platform. Air Conditioned.
AMTRAK SUPERLINER TRAINS
COACH CLASS SEAT – Two wide seats with ample leg room on each side of the aisle. Seat width 20”, tray table and individual reading lights, restrooms within each car.
ROOMETTE – Room size 6’6 long by 3’6 wide, sitting room by day with small table, upper (6’2 x 2)/lower (6’6 x 2’4) berths at night, restrooms within car. Accommodates 1-2 adults. Onboard meals included.
SUPERLINER BEDROOM – Room size 6’6 long by 7’6 wide, sitting room by day with sofa, table and chair, upper (6’2 x 2’)/lower (6’3 x 3’4) berths at night, restroom, shower and sink are within the room. Accommodates 1-2 adults. Onboard meals included.
ACCESSIBLE BEDROOM – (For passengers with mobility impairments) and FAMILY BEDROOMS are limited. Onboard meals are included. Information available upon request.